Tuesday, June 14, 2011

{Recipes} Savory Basil, Feta and Roasted Red Pepper Muffins

OK, now I'm a big (well, more like HUGE) fan of sweet treats like cupcakes, cheesecake and especially ice cream. But nothing quite gets my mouth watering like these Basil, Feta and Roasted Red Pepper Muffins.

I've been wanting to make them for a while because I've had access to fresh basil from the garden. Then I got my husband craving them too! 



Confession: I just had to sneak one of these muffins while typing this blog. I'm telling you, these little guys are wonderful. (And they're best fresh from the oven, or heated up in the microwave for about 10 seconds each.)



Alright, enough talking. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.


In another bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk and olive oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.



Fold in cheese, peppers and basil.


Fill greased muffin pan 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 375 degrees for 16-20 minutes.

Cool for 5 minutes, then move to cooling rack. Serve warm.



I actually first made this recipe from Taste of Home about a year ago as a Baking 101 column for the Evansville Courier & Press. And I've been making them ever since.

So pretty and colorful. And they're just so darn easy to make. Perfect for a brunch menu or for entertaining. Or, well, just because!

Happy baking, everyone.


Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment